Building World Peace and Understanding
One Person at a Time
Elmhurst Rotary Club is an active participant in Rotary International’s long-term Youth Exchange Program, whose goal is to promote the advancement of international understanding, goodwill and peace at the person-to-person level.
Opportunities exist for Elmhurst residents to host inbound high school-age exchange students from around the world and for Elmhurst high-school-age students to spend a school year abroad. Exchange terms are for approximately 11 months.
Central States Rotary is the umbrella organization that arranges inbound and outbound exchanges for students. Each year Central States successfully manages hundreds of exchanges to and from more than 40 countries all over the world.
District 6450, of which the Elmhurst Rotary Club is a part, hosts between 12 and 20 students each year. It arranges exchanges for a similar number of outbound students each year.
Elmhurst Rotary hosts one inbound student and sends away one or two outbound students each year. The club recently has hosted students from Denmark, Thailand, Brazil, Belgium, Germany, France and Norway. Outbound students have gone to Thailand, Chile, Mexico, Spain and Lithuania.
Rotary Youth Exchange is an opportunity for young people to learn a new culture and language, to be an ambassador, to make friends for a lifetime. It is a year of challenge and adventure. Returned students call it "The best year of my life."
Host families for inbound students:
- Must live within the boundaries of School District 205;
- Don’t need to have high school-age children in the home;
- Aren’t required to be Rotarians;
- Must have a desire to share their culture and to learn about the culture of the inbound student;
- Must provide meals and housing for a period of three to four months;
- Must pass a background check.
- Must be a good student (top half of class);
- Must be between 16 and 18 1/2 years old at the time of their August departure;
- Must have a willingness to learn the language and culture of the country they are assigned to;
- Must have the initiative to get involved in activities in the host country;
- Must be able to adjust to a new and different culture/country, be willing live apart from their families for the year and be open to new and different experiences;
- May be or may not be a member of the family of a Rotarian.
For more information, contact Charlie Laliberte, Elmhurst Rotary Youth Exchange Officer, at 630-832-9010; email email@example.com.Further information is available at the District 6450 website, and the Central States web site, www.csrye.org.